Personnel Policy Guidance and Resources for Nepal Earthquake Relief



Re: Personnel Policy Guidance and Resources for Nepal Earthquake Relief

Dear Colleagues:

In response to the tragic consequences of the recent earthquake in Nepal and our concerns about employees who may be affected by or responding to the disaster, we are sending a reminder regarding the policies available to departments and employees in the event that support services are required.

Leave Policies

In consultation with Campus Human Resources or Health Sciences Human Resources, organization heads may approve administrative leave with pay during natural disasters or other emergencies under PPSM 2.210 Absence from Work Policy, section F.1 Administrative Leave for Emergencies. Administrative leave with pay may be provided for:

  • Members of UC-sponsored response teams sent to assist with the relief efforts based on their special skills and training. (Employees involved with University-sponsored relief efforts are covered by the University’s workers’ compensation insurance as long as the employee’s participation in the emergency relief activity has been approved.)
  • Employees who participate in official relief efforts sponsored by agencies such as the Red Cross, subject to prior management approval.
  • Employees who were traveling in the area at the time of the disaster and became stranded.
  • When administrative leave with pay is not appropriate, departments have the discretion to allow employees to use their accrued vacation, compensatory time off, or leave without pay in accordance with applicable policies or labor agreements.

The Catastrophic Leave Program is also available to provide assistance to staff employees covered by PPSM Absence from Work Policy, section F.1. The program allows an employee to donate accrued vacation credits to another employee when the recipient employee does not have sufficient vacation balances or other paid leave credits.

The Catastrophic Leave Donor Form and the Recipient Application Request are available at:

403(b) Plan — Emergency Loans and Hardship Withdrawals

The University offers several options for emergency loans for employees in need of financial assistance. Employees who participate in UC's 403(b) Plan may borrow their own funds for emergency needs or, if ineligible for a loan, they may be able to take a hardship withdrawal. For loans and hardship withdrawals, plan participants should call Fidelity at 1-800-558-9182.

Employee Assistance Program

Dealing with emergencies such as the earthquake in Nepal can take a serious toll on all of us. Professionals at the Staff and Faculty Counseling Center are available to help employees deal with the impact of these circumstances. The Center can be reached at (310) 794-0245.

If you or your staff have questions regarding the Catastrophic Leave Program, please contact Manager Lazetta Smith in Campus Human Resources at or Director Maure Gardner in Health System Human Resources at For academic personnel questions, contact Associate Director Esther Hamil in the Academic Personnel Office at


Carole Goldberg
Vice Chancellor
Academic Personnel
Lubbe Levin
Associate ViceChancellor,
Campus Human Resources
Interim Chief Human Resources Officer,
Health Sciences

Related Information