Skip to Main Content

Information on UC Benefits for Same-Sex Marriage

On May 15, 2008, the California Supreme Court overturned the law prohibiting same-sex marriages in California. As a result, a same-sex couple may now marry in California and be legally recognized as spouses in the state. The University also recognizes these marriages and same-sex legal spouses are eligible for health and welfare benefits at UC.

In addition, the UC health and welfare programs will continue to recognize same-sex domestic partner relationships. This means there is no change in eligibility for same-sex domestic partners who are currently covered by UC's health and welfare programs. UC will not require couples enrolled under existing UC policy as domestic partners to now marry in order to retain health and welfare benefits.

What if same-sex domestic partner is already enrolled in Health & Welfare Plans?

1. Marriage is not required to continue UC coverage.

2. If marriage occurs, the UC coverage will continue without change. A new period of initial eligibility (PIE) is not available to make changes or enroll in other health and welfare programs because the spouse is not a new family member.

What if same-sex domestic partner or same-sex spouse is not currently enrolled in Health & Welfare Plans?

1. A 31-day period of initial eligibility (PIE) to add the new family member is provided when existing eligibility rules for domestic partnership are met or as of the date of marriage.

2. Employees must submit a completed UPAY 850 enrollment form to their department's Human Resources Office and must do so within 31 days of the Family Status Change. Retirees must submit a completed UBEN 100 enrollment form to Retiree Insurance Programs, P.O. Box 24570, Oakland, CA 94623 and must do so within 31 days of the Family Status Change.

These enrollment forms will be updated to expand the existing relationship code D to reflect "same-sex spouse/domestic partner."

Information on UC benefits and the May 15, 2008, California Supreme Court decision to overturn the law prohibiting same-sex marriages in California is available on At Your Service. In the event the November 2008 election overturns the same-sex marriage law in California, additional information and guidance will be issued.

Campus Human Resources, Benefits Services
Phone: (310) 794-0830 | Fax: (310) 794-0835