Skip to Main Content

How to File a Complaint, Grievance, or Abusive Conduct Form

Filing a formal complaint

The university and various federal and state agencies have established processes for employees to complain about inappropriate or incorrect acts by university employees. The complaint process largely depends on whether the complainant is represented by a union. 

grievance A grievance is a written complaint by a represented employee, a group of represented employees, or a union alleging that the University has violated a specific provision of the collective bargaining agreement.

If your position’s title code is covered by a collective bargaining agreement, you can either check your collective bargaining agreement or contact your Union representative for information on filing a grievance and the specific time limit within which to file.


Complaint A complaint is a written claim by a non-represented employee regarding a specific management act that is alleged to have either adversely affected the employee’s existing terms and conditions of employment, or violated a provision of the Personnel Policies for Staff Members.

If your position’s title code is covered by the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM), review PPSM Policy 70 (Complaint Resolution), Local Procedure 70, or contact your Employee Relations Consultant for information on the steps required to file a complaint and the specific time limit within which to file. 

ABUSIVE CONDUCT The University of California’s Abusive Conduct Policy prohibits abusive conduct and retaliation by and against members of the University community in the workplace. It applies to all University employees (including student employees), unpaid interns, and third parties. The Policy also prohibits retaliation against any person who, in good faith, reports abusive conduct, assists someone with a report of abusive conduct, or participates in an investigation or other process under the Policy. Abusive conduct may be reported via the UCLA Abusive Conduct Intake Form.  

Employee & Labor Relations staff members are available to assist employees in initiating these processes. Please contact their office at 310-794-0860 for more information.


Grievances, complaints, or abusive conduct forms may be filed via email to or delivered by mail or in person to:

Campus Human Resources, Employee & Labor Relations
10920 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 200
Los Angeles, CA 90024-6504
Mail Code: 146548
Phone: (310) 794-0860 | Fax: (310) 794-0865

Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For information on additional processes and links to further information, please reference the table below:
Type of complaint Primary contact further information
Complaint (violation of PPSM) for Non-Represented Employees Employee Relations PPSM 70 and UCLA Procedure 70
Grievance (violation of a union contract article) for Represented Employees Union Collective Bargaining Agreements on Grievance and Arbitration
Improper Governmental Activities/Whistleblower Retaliation Administrative Policies & Compliance Office

UC Whistleblower Policy

UC Whistleblower Protection Policy

Discrimination or harassment on basis of race, sex, national origin, age, or other protected factor (against staff member)

Staff Diversity & Compliance

Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace
Discrimination or harassment on basis of race, sex, national origin, age, or other protected factor (against faculty member) Discrimination Prevention Office UCLA Policy 240
Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Title IX Policy on Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment 
Health system employees can find more information by dialing (310) 794-0500 or by clicking here.