DEANS, DIRECTORS, DEPARTMENT CHAIRS, and ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS
RE: Staff Appreciation and Recognition (STAR) Plan Guidelines (FY 2016-17) for Policy-Covered Staff
We are pleased to issue UCLA’s Staff Appreciation and Recognition (STAR) Plan for FY 2016-2017. The Guidelines are consistent with Staff Policy 34, Incentive and Recognition Award Plans and provide a basis to recognize staff members for their achievements and outstanding contributions to the department, organization, and/or the campus.
STAR Plan eligibility requirements for policy-covered staff (PSS and MSP) are described in the Guidelines. Highlights are noted below:
- Awards are in the form of a lump sum and may not exceed 10% of an employee’s base salary or a maximum of $10,000, whichever is less. Organizations may establish lower award limits. (The XSL DOS Code should be used to process all cash awards, unless a specific local award program has been approved by Campus Human Resources, in which case the LEA DOS Code should be utilized.)
- The Chancellor has delegated authority for approval of any awards that exceed $5,000 to the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost, Deans, Vice Provosts, and Vice Chancellors for employees within their jurisdiction. This authority may not be re-delegated.
- Policy-covered staff must be on pay status for at least six months and have successfully completed their probationary period, if applicable; they must be on pay status at the time of the payout to receive an award.
- Please note that the Teamsters have signed a systemwide agreement with the University, effective July 1, 2015, which allows CX bargaining unit employees on the campus to be eligible for STAR awards under the same terms and conditions that apply to policy-covered employees.
- All awards require specific documentation of performance and achievements that are the basis for the award. Only those employees who have achieved a performance rating of “meets expectations” or better are eligible to receive an award. Please utilize the CHR Award Nomination Form for the necessary documentation of award approval.
Questions and comments from campus departments should be directed to Director Linda Gaddie at email@example.com and from the School of Medicine to Director Maure Gardner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Guidelines for award programs applicable to the Health System will be issued separately.