Since 1979, the Staff Enrichment Program (SEP) has been committed to helping UCLA staff achieve their career goals. By fostering a sense of belonging, developing employees’ vocational and professional skills, and exploring career possibilities, SEP aims to retain high-potential employees and prepare them for leadership roles at UCLA. SEP, and other staff development programs, strive to provide the campus with a diverse pool of skilled applicants to meet the operational needs and manage the challenges afforded by UCLA's dynamic environment.
- Empower staff to become active agents in their professional and career development
- Foster a culture of ongoing competency, skill, and knowledge development
- Teach staff knowledge, tools, and frameworks to set and achieve goals, manage performance, develop professional networks, and explore growth opportunities
- Foster a learning community committed to collective development and support
- Introduce staff to opportunities for growth and career exploration.
SEP is a hybrid program. Program meetings, activities, and events will be a mix of in-person at the Westwood campus and remote via Zoom, with the majority of interactions being held via Zoom. All participants must be able to participate virtually via Zoom and travel to campus for select workshops and events.
Workshops, assignments, and projects are intentionally designed to enhance participant skills, expand participant’s professional networks, and develop participant’s professional identities. Participants should expect to spend approximately 10-12 hours each month on Staff Enrichment Program activities and assignments. Approximately three hours each month are spent in program workshops, and the remaining hours may be determined according to individual work schedules, priorities, and work styles. Program components include the following:
- Program Retreat: A day-long professional development retreat hosted at the beginning of the program.
- Monthly Workshops: One 3-hour skill-building workshop each month of the program
- Capstone Project: Participants will use the skills they have developed throughout the program to complete a project of their own choosing that supports their department and allows them to expand their professional bandwidth.
- Individual career coaching: One-on-one career coaching from a trained career management coach.
- Career-expanding assignments: A variety of assignments will be completed throughout the program, designed to help participants apply new skills learned throughout the program and to expand their professional network.
- Networking Opportunities: Participants will be invited to events with program alumni and other campus affiliates who have been successful in their professional endeavors at the University.
- Educational stipend: Participants will have the chance to take advantage of a small educational stipend that can be used for further professional development.
The program information folder includes descriptions of the program components and expectations for participants, supervisors, and the Professional & Career Development team.
Note: The program is dynamic and responsive to university and participant needs. Consequently, program components and details may change.
If accepted into the Staff Enrichment Program, participants will attend an online orientation in July. The program will then officially run from August 2023 through May 2024.
- Full-time career employment at UCLA in the following payroll title levels:
- Professional & Support Staff (PSS) Grades A-D & 1
- Career Tracks titles in the Professional categories 1& 2
- Career Tracks titles in the Supervisory 1 category
- If unsure about your eligibility, please view the list of eligible titles
- At least one year of service at UCLA as of August 1, 2023, is required. At least one year of service in current role is preferred.
- Contract employees who would otherwise be eligible for the program should contact the Professional & Career Development Coordinator.
- A rating of “Meets Expectations” (or better) on the most current performance evaluation.
- Departmental support for participation (direct supervisor and department head)
- Selected participants must have access to Zoom, as well as a computer with a camera and microphone, and a private space to participate in remote meetings.
- Selected participants must be able to travel to and attend workshops and other events on campus and in person.
Application Submission Process
The application for SEP will be open from March 1, 2023 through April 7, 2023.
The SEP application includes the participant application (applicant’s information, a number of personal response questions, and resume) and a recommendation from the applicant’s direct supervisor.
To apply to the Staff Enrichment Program, please access the Staff Enrichment Program Application starting March 1, 2023.
Please note: Instead of entering an email address and password or registering for a Survey Monkey Account, select "Or Sign in with UCLA Staff SSO” instead.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
The Staff Enrichment Program is committed to providing development opportunities that reflect and support individuals with diverse backgrounds, identities and experiences. We acknowledge that bias, discrimination and oppression can impact professional and career development. We are committed to reviewing and assessing our program curriculum, content, and facilitation, as well as administration and management, to continually work toward a more equitable, diverse and inclusive learning environment that supports dignity and advancement for all.
Information for Supervisors of Applicants
Close association between participants, their supervisors, and the Professional & Career Development team is maintained to ensure that individual development plans and program activities remain consistent with the University's needs. Supervisors can expect that participants will need approximately 10-12 hours of paid release time each month. There is no cost to either the department or program member.
For additional information, please direct all questions to:
Lola Engle, Professional & Career Development Coordinator
Campus Human Resources, Learning & Organizational Development
Campus Human Resources, Learning & Organizational Development
Phone: (310) 794-0850 | Fax: (310) 794-0855