Skip to Main Content

Resources Available for Employees Impacted by the Wildfires

For employees who may be affected by the wildfires in Southern California, the following options are available in the event that emergency leave and/or other support services are required.

Emergency Leave

Administrative leave with pay is available during natural disasters or other emergencies under section F of PPSM - 2.210: Absence from Work (PDF). In consultation with Campus Human Resources or Health Human Resources, Organization Heads may approve up to two days of administrative leave with pay and may request authorization for additional leave as needed to address situations in which staff are unable to report to work due to a natural disaster or emergency.

Additionally, departments have the discretion to allow employees who are unable to work as a result of the fires to use their accrued vacation, compensatory time off, or leave without pay. The option to use accrued vacation, compensatory time or leave without pay may also be made available to employees who volunteer for or are asked to participate in emergency response activities, such as volunteer firefighters. Employees called to active duty for emergency National Guard leave may be eligible to receive their regular University pay in accordance with section E of PPSM - 2.210: Absence from Work (PDF).

In appropriate circumstances, department heads may approve telecommuting for employees who are able to work remotely (PDF) if they are unable to access the campus. Contact your Employee/Labor Relations consultant in Campus Human Resources or Health Human Resources for guidance on these policies.

Employee Assistance Program

Dealing with emergencies such as wildfires can take a serious toll on all of us. The professionals at the Staff and Faculty Counseling Center are available to help employees deal with the impact of these circumstances. The Center can be reached at (310) 794-0245.

403(b) Plan – Emergency Loans and Hardship Withdrawals

The University offers several options for emergency loans for employees in need of financial assistance. Employees who participate in UC’s 403(b) Plan may borrow their own funds for emergency needs or, if ineligible for a loan, they may be able to take a hardship withdrawal. For loans and hardship withdrawals, plan participants should call Fidelity at 1-866-682-7787 or login to Fidelity’s website.

A+ Auto and Home Insurance

For those employees with A+ Auto & Home Insurance managed by California Casualty, please call their customer service center at 1-800-800-9410.

If you have questions regarding application of the guidelines, please contact Anthony Solana, Director of Employee and Labor Relations in Campus Human Resources at or Jane Miller, Director of Employee and Labor Relations in Health Human Resources at

For updated information on the fires and UCLA campus, go to UCLA Bruins Safe Online.