Dual Employment is the term used to describe additional time worked by a staff employee in either (a) the employee's home department, but in a different job than the employee's permanent appointment or (b) a department other than the employee's home department. The department requesting the employee's additional work initiates the approval process using a "Request for Dual Employment" form.
- Prior approval is required before the dual employment work can begin.
- No payment of dual employment should be processed without a notification of approval from Campus Human Resources, Compensation.
- The employee's full-time department and the department requesting the dual employment will be notified, in writing, when approved.
Note: The work schedule should be coordinated between the two departments to insure that the employee is compensated for the correct number of hours at the appropriate rate of pay. See the following examples.
1) In this example, Department B is liable for all overtime pay at the premium rate. The employee completes 40 hours of actual work in the primary department. The time worked in the dual employment position (Department B) is compensated at 1½ times regular rate of pay (premium) and is paid by the department that requested the dual employment.
|Primary Dept.||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Total Hrs.||8 REG||8 REG||8 REG||8 REG||8 REG||40 REG|
|Dept. B||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Total Hrs.||8 DEP|
|Daily Total||8 DEP||40 REG|
2) In this example, Department A and B are liable for overtime pay at the premium rate, (1½ times regular rate of pay). The employee works dual employment 2 hours each day after completing 8 hours in primary department. Employee completes 40 hours of actual work on Thursday at 8 p.m. Employee is eligible for 1½ times regular rate of pay premium) beginning on Friday at 8 a.m. and continuing the end of the dual employment at 8 p.m.
|8 a.m. - 5 p.m.||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.||8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|8 REG||8 REG||8 REG||8 REG||8 OTP||32 REG,|
|6 p.m. - 8 p.m.||6 p.m. - 8 p.m.||6 p.m. - 8 p.m.||6 p.m. - 8 p.m.||6 p.m. - 8 p.m.|
|2 REG||2 REG||2 REG||2 REG||2 REG||8 REG,|
|Daily Total||10||10||10||10||10||40 REG|
The DOS code for dual employment is DES for straight time and DEP for premium time.
Campus Human Resources, Personnel Services
Phone: (310) 794-3147 | Fax: (310) 794-0865