What is E-Verify?
- E-Verify is an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) under the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to verify employment eligibility based on information provided by an employee’s Form I-9.
- Information is electronically verified against records contained in DHS and the Social Security Administration (SSA) databases.
- Under the final rule - FAR 1.108(d), UC, along with other Institutions of Higher Education, UC is required to enroll in E-Verify once awarded a federal contract or subcontract that requires participation in E-Verify as the term of the contract.
- When UC is awarded a federal contract that contains the FAR E-Verify clause, UC, as the contractor and any covered subcontractors on the project, must enroll within 30 calendar days of the contract/subcontract award date.
- UC must also post the Right to Work poster and the E-Verify Notice in English and Spanish.
Which Federal Contracts Apply?
- All federal contracts containing the FAR E-Verify clause.
- The federal contract must also have a value above $100,000; a performance period longer than 120 days; and the performance must be within the United States.
- Indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity (IDIQ) contracts that have been modified after the September 8, 2009 effective rule date on a bilateral basis, in accordance with FAR 1.108(d)(3), to include the clause for future orders.
- For IDIQ contracts, the remaining period of performance must extend 6 months after the final rule effective date, and the amount of work expected under the remaining performance period is “substantial.”
Which Federal Subcontracts Apply?
- A subcontract based on a prime contract with the E-Verify clause which is for services or construction and has a value above $3000.
- Exception: Grants are not subject to the rule; only qualified federal contracts and subcontracts, as described above, are subject to the E-Verify requirement.
Campus Human Resources, Employment Services
Phone: (310) 794-0890 | Fax: (310) 794-0895